One question that I often see online regarding BJJ(Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) training and drilling is “How many calories does an average session burn?”
The answer depends on may factors actually:
- Your weight ?
- How active you are during the actual session ? (it’s hard to believe I know, but a lot of people spend a huge amount of time talking BS)
- How long is the session ?
- Are you performing mostly ground technique or standing techniques ?
Those are just some of that factors. So….this morning I decided to use my HR monitor to see how many calories I actually burned.
Here are the details:
Trained with Josh Vogel. He went then I went. His techniques were not the same as mine.
Weight = 220lb
90 minute session made up of standing and ground techniques, I’m going to use Judo terms for the standing techniques:
- Hiza Guruma- 40R/40L
- O Goshi- 40R/40L
- Hiza Guruma & O soto gari combo- 20R/20L
- O goshi & tani o toshi combo-20R/20L
- Pendulum sweep & Armlock combo 30R/30L
- X-Guard Pass 30R
- 933 total calories burned
- Max HR 160
- AVG HR 116
In upcoming sessions I’ll keep more detailed notes and Josh will start recording his numbers as well.