Steve Maxwell Video Interview Part #1

“…A BJJ Workouts Video Interview with BJJ Blackbelt and Strength Conditioning Coach Steve Maxwell…”

Steve Maxwell was my first BJJ coach. This was many years ago in Philadelphia at Maxercise located at 707 Chestnut Street.

Some of my best BJJ memories are from those days. Getting beat up by Noah Spear and the Migliarese brothers. Getting foot-locked repeatedly by Anray (sp) to the point of near breakage simply because I swept him.

Suffering in the Philly humidity on the 3rd floor… wondering what the hell I was doing training in a gi. I wouldn’t change a thing looking back.

Steve also introduced me to strength and conditioning methods that I never even considered or heard of. Here’s a quick run down why you should listen to Steve:

1. Steve has 46 years of training experience. Both grappling and strength and conditioning. 46 years! The man should retire but he keeps rocking his seminars and workshops to sold out crowds. There’s a reason for that.

2. Steve has seen more training methods and tools come and go than any other coach I trained with or under. And Steve has always played an active role with new training methods, always experimenting and trying out new methods. For example, well before kettlebell training was popular in the US, Steve had some kettlebells homemade out of stainless steel. Sandbags? Yeah, Steve had those first as well.

3. Steve has coached and worked with some huge names in BJJ and MMA…Saulo and Xande Ribeiro, Kron Gracie and Diego Sanchez are only a few. There are many, many more.

4. Steve is extremely well-rounded and uses the absolute best training tool for the job. He’s not brainwashed by any one training tool.

5. Steve is a physical culture historian. Whether speaking of ancient India or Persia, Steve knows their training methods and tools. He’s probably trained with them!

Here’s Part #1 of our video interview where we discuss yoga. How it’s become waterdown and partial. What’s postures to avoid and what the orignal purpose of Yoga actually is.

Enjoy.

Comments

comments

8 Responses to Steve Maxwell Video Interview Part #1
  1. Alma Judogirl
    October 21, 2010 | 1:51 am

Great interview!

2. T
    October 21, 2010 | 12:27 pm

Great video! Where is Part II?

3. Jason
    October 22, 2010 | 3:10 am

Alma Judogirl? I know you. Hope you’re well.

4. Jason
    October 22, 2010 | 3:10 am

T, Part 2 is posted. Part 3 will be up soon as well.

5. mike d
    October 24, 2010 | 12:07 am

Outstanding stuff Jason. I laughed at the part of the twinkie diet. My question for you based on what you know of him is what is his thoughts on recovery? I dont mean just being lazy and taking a day off but rest and recovery. Great site friend. I am learning alot.

6. jason
    October 24, 2010 | 12:39 am

@ Mike D,

Steve is a huge fan of joint mobility work and active recovery. Have you listened to his audio interview here?

We discuss it a bit in that and I don’t want to speak for Steve per se.

I know he loves cold water dousing in the morning which I do as well and I believe that aids in my recovery.

I’ll send him a message or have him answer here.

7. nunh
    January 12, 2011 | 1:30 pm

Thank you for this interview! I am a huge fan of Mr. Maxwell’s work – will own all of his dvds by my birthday this February!

He has taught me so much already through his youtube channel and blog. Looking forward to his new downloads!

Really dig your site and exercise suggestions as well! I am in this for health and love kettlebells (not a BJJ practioner).

8. George Orcutt
    July 24, 2013 | 6:49 pm

Great stuff I look forward to reading and watching more. Thanks

Wanting to leave an <em>phasis on your comment?

Trackback URL http://www.bjjworkouts.com/2010/10/20/steve-maxwell-video-interview-part-1/trackback/

Comments

comments

Get Cool Free Stuff

I love to give away free training templates, ebooks, reports, workout videos and audio interviews.To get the latest goodies enter your name and email address below.

Kettlebell Training
Leverage
Animal Flow Workout
Rogue Fitness Hammers & Grips

About Jason C. Brown
Hi, I'm Jason C. Brown. I'm a coach and athlete obsessed with human movement, martial arts and walking the path of mastery. I help BJJ players move better, play better and enjoy their Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu more.
Get In Touch